Monday, April 19, 2010

Don't Threaten To Murder Me


Mrs. White: He had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her.
Miss Scarlet: Oh.

A few days later, I can be blase about this, but on Friday? Less so.

Remember when we asked you to do (or rather, not do) this? That goes double for those of you out there who are angry racists who object to having the children on the bus pointed out to you when you are loudly and profanely disparaging an entire culture of people. I'm pretty sure that then turning your angry racism on me, calling me all manner of colorful and derogatory terms, and telling me just exactly how hard you're going to kick my ass and how much you want me to die, qualifies as Being An Asshole On Public Transportation. Knock it off.

But hey! Don't let this put you off public transport, dear Reader. In all my years of bus-riding - many of them spent on that exact route, my city's most...exciting - that was the first experience like that I've had. One angry racist isn't going to keep me from taking advantage of the public transportation system that my city has spent time and money to build and keep relevant, and it shouldn't intimidate you, either. But the next time someone is spouting crazy, I will probably stop, think, and keep my nose in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment