Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Quickies: Mother's Day Edition

We're departing from the usual Quickies format today to remind you: Don't Forget Mother's Day! As a daughter and a mother, I can tell you that it really doesn't matter what you get your momma--when I was a kid, I gave my mother silk flowers in a vase from the Christmas Tree Shop. I think it cost me all of three dollars. She put it in the kitchen and left it there until I came home from college one year and suddenly realized that she'd left that hideously tacky thing out for all those years because I had given it to her.

Of course, I'm not saying you should get your mom any old crap, but that she will cherish any gift you give with love, even if you wait until the last minute to buy it like I think we all do every year. (It's not just me, right?) So here are some ideas for the ladies who raised you:

For moms who love shiny things:
Wendy Mink Jewelry (ooh: 20% off through May 9!)
Melissa Joy Manning Jewelry
Coast Mountain Crafts' beautiful silk wraps.

For crafty moms:
Purl, for all her knitting needs.

For tasty moms:
Cookbooks nominated for the 2010 James Beard Award (Winners list)

For home & garden moms:
Yellena, fun & funky prints
Feral Glass, to make her garden glow

For literary moms:
Heather Jeany, handmade cards and stationery
Pocket Full of Poesy, quotes of note on blingy rings

For grand moms:
Eye of My Heart, a book of essays on grandmotherhood.

BONUS For Boston-area moms:
I Survived the Aquapocalypse shirts and mugs

(We're not getting anything to promote these stores. In fact, they have no idea we exist. We just like 'em.)

No comments:

Post a Comment