Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday Quickies: Our Favorite Things Edition


We wanted to do something special for our 100th post, so we decided to emulate the Queen of All Media, Oprah, and give you some of our favorite things, where "our favorite things" equal "stuff on the internet that makes us happy," because happiness is free and easy to share.

Which is good, because we're broke and (sadly) not queens of anything. But believe us, if this whole blog thing takes off? It's cars and cashmere track suits for all of you.

Staff favorites:

Twitter, for all its capacity and Beiber issues, is home to some brilliantly entertaining people. We love Busy Phillipps, Mindy Kaling, Chad OchoCinco, Roger Ebert (who is, like, King of Twitter at this point), Neil Patrick Harris, Nicole Richie, and noted astrophysicist (and Daisy's Science Boyfriend) Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Oh No They Didn't Yes, yes: it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. But it also makes us laugh until we choke and brings us the best GIFs and marcos (see above) in addition to all the celeb gossip.

Our snark role models: Go Fug Yourself and Tom & Lorenzo

Daisy's favorites:

Silk Road to Nowhere. Louisa's travels in Central Asia, including Iran, Georgia, India, and many countries whose names end in -stan. Her writing and photography are amazing and evocative. It's the next best thing to visiting this gorgeous and often misunderstood part of the world.

Etsy. Nothing cheers me up on a gray day more than searching something like "Grace Kelly" and finding a handmade replica of her wedding dress. Oh sure, it's great for finding gifts and unique clothes and housewares, but it's also great fun just to browse the amazing things people make.

Elon James White, who makes race and politics funny, thank god, because I usually just find them depressing. Go watch his This Week in Blackness videos. I'll wait.

LegAndDairy I don't really know how to describe this one, partly because I am an old lady and don't actually understand how Tumblr works. It's the blog of Gingerslam2, who makes my favorite ONTD posts, and it's like she's posting directly from my Id. I guess if I had to sum it up, I'd say "Hot boys and caps lock."

Brownie's favorites:

Think Geek, for their brilliant April Fool's products and for publishing the best cease & desist letter ever.

Meg Cabot's blog is a total delight.

538.com for political pollish stuff and somehow making statistics entertaining. Right now he's doing World Cup odds, which is awesome.

David Lebovitz. I went to a fantastic chocolate store in Paris thanks to one of his posts and have made lots of his recipes. And his recipe for a tart shell where you melt the butter first is a revelation and works perfectly (and is so impressive).

I love Chowhound, where I get many restaurant and cooking tips.

Roxy's favorites:

THE VUVUZELA HORN Because that shit is amazing and makes me giggle every time.

Kate_Elizabeth's Flickr is fantastic. She's a gorgeous photographer, using lots of different types of film, and her descriptions are almost blog-like. (For example)

The Kim Hutt double feature of What Claudia Wore and What Chuck Wore makes me laugh all the time, although she hasn't updated Chuck in almost a year, WOE.

And speaking of things that make me laugh - Texts From Last Night, though it's not deep or meaningful, is always a riot.

I've been known to waste hours playing Penguin Baseball. And I just discovered that there's also Bloody Penguin Baseball, which I thought I was going to hate, but which is actually kind of awesome.

Thank you all so much for reading. We're excited to bring you 100 more rants on pop culture, parenthood, sports, food, fashion, and all sorts of other things you shouldn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment